My Destiny

I’m am not writing a post about my ultimate fate and future, rather I am writing about my new sewing machine. I finally updated my well loved Viking for a Babylock Destiny.

DSCF8054Good Bye old friend!

DSCF8057

Hello new friend! I preordered her back the first week in September, and she finally came last week. We got off to a rocky start and she needed the online update to run properly but the web page was down for half the week. Once I got the update and installed it she was much happier and so was I. There are a few other things I see that Babylock will have to update in the future, but for now I’m learning a new machine and having fun.

Sunday afternoon was the first block of time I had to spend trying out new things. I had planned a project back in September to be the first thing to make and do and it was all cut and ready to go. I made  linen Skirt, back in September this was a great idea, but here and November it’s a bit too cold to wear my skirt, but it was a great learning project.

DSCF8058

I laid the skirt out on the breezy, cold deck so you could see the front and backs of the designs. I made the faux cutwork design on the  machine itself . I had the triangular floral design. I combined two designs, then added an applique’ border around the edges so I could cut the bottom hem. I used a prewound black bobbin and black polyneon thread in the top. I was pleased with the turn out, but the water-soluble stabilizer is a bit tricky to get out… I need another soak to get rid of the remaining stick. Even with all the stadium lighting and the camera I still had trouble seeing to line up the design, but I didn’t want to print out a template, I wanted to see if it could all be accomplished without a computer. I’ll get more familiar with lining up on the next project.

The next project I wanted to try out the scanning feature. I found a line drawing of the Eiffel Tower. I scanned it in just like the directions said to and voila it turned out terrific. I didn’t need my digitizing program or an outside computer to edit the design in anyway. I’m not a fan of the auto digitizer on my software program as I like to manually digitize my designs.  I really didn’t think an auto digitizer on a machine using an open scanner would do much better than my computer program but BOY was I wrong! Now this was a simple and clean drawing keep that in mind, I wouldn’t do logo design work yet.

I added the “Bonjour” from the designs that came on the machine and ran a test stitch out to see how it turned out.

DSCF8056

The Back ground fabric is scraps that I stitched together so there are seams that the tower had to sew over and still it turned out even and smooth on top. Here’s the kicker. I forgot to change out the black bobbin thread and it ran out. I changed it to a white Bobbin and you can’t tell a difference on the top thread… so the tension is nicely balanced!

DSCF8059

I’ll post more as I learn…..

 

Advertisements

One response

  1. janiceferguson84951994 | Reply

    I’m sure you are really loving your Destiny by now. This post was really informative for me. My Brother Dream Machine will be here Monday and I can hardly wait–for the machine and for new tips and info from you! I hope more posts like this are coming!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: