I Like Broom skirts, but… they never look so good on me. They tend to over- power and pack on pounds but I like the idea…. I also am shorter….. so rows of too many fabrics turn me into a mushroom. But again I like the idea.
As I have mentioned here: https://thethriftyneedle.wordpress.com/2011/06/18/scraps/ I store or organize my scraps either in long 2 1/2″ strips or fabric squares. It makes it so easy to have handy scraps sorted this way….especially when you dream about sewing projects!
I started with a foundation… a front and back cut from a piece of linen ( this is the same basic pattern I made my ruffle skirt from… here: https://thethriftyneedle.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/linen-ruffle-skirt/) It also happen to be the same fabric for the base foundation. This will never been seen so it didn’t matter that it had a sample embroidery and a stain.
See the ‘bump’ on the foot…. with a longer stitch length and a straight stitch, that bump shir’s or gathers the fabric. I did this on both ends of the fabric length. This sort of makes a puffing strip, a lengthen of fabric gathered on both ends, slightly. I didn’t want to add bulk, just the look.
I started at the top edge and sewed it down to the foundation. Then I smooth and pinned the fabric and stitched down the bottom edge. I stitched fancy trims on top of the seams and that turned out to be my favorite part!
For the final fabric I used two fabrics at wider widths and sewed them together first. Then I attached my ruffler attachment and set at a pleat every 12 stitches I ‘ruffled’ the top edge. Then I just seamed it to the rest of the skirt. The skirt measures 20″ in length and is the perfect length not to over power me with all these fabrics.I Love this sweater top…. wish I could find it in white… and blue… and pink…. and…